What is a Chamber ribbon cutting?
A ribbon cutting is the ceremonial opening of a brand new or newly renovated/relocated business that has opened within the last six months. Ribbon cuttings can also be held for new ownership or within the first six months of a business joining the Chamber as a new member.
Because a ribbon cutting marks a very significant moment in the business’ history, this is a great photo and marketing opportunity. The ceremony gives the business owner or manager a chance to say a few words to those gathered. Many choose to use the time to publicly thank their financial backers, their employees, friends and family and others. It is also a great opportunity to talk about specifics of your business- hours, product lines, what the business does, etc.
A ribbon cutting is a wonderful marketing opportunity to familiarize the general public and fellow Chamber members with you and your business. There is no cost for the ribbon cutting.
Who qualifies for a ribbon cutting?
- A new business that has opened in the past six months
- A member that has relocated
- A member that has remodeled or expanded its current location
- A member that has changed primary ownership
What is the Chamber responsible in providing?
The Chamber will provide the following:
- We will provide the official scissors and ribbon
- We will take the official photograph
- We will help coordinate and facilitate the actual ceremony
- We will invite all Chamber board members, Ambassadors, local media and elected officials
- We will include an announcement of the ribbon cutting on our e-newsletter and list it on our community calendar of events at www.gilmerchamber.com
- We will provide congratulatory remarks from a member of the Chamber leadership team
- We will provide the photograph to local media for publication
- We will provide you with an electronic and printed copy of the photograph for your use.
- We will promote the ribbon cutting on our Facebook page
What should you do to insure a successful ribbon cutting?
Each ribbon cutting is different and should be a reflection of your business. We strongly encourage you to promote your ribbon cutting to help increase attendance and awareness. You should invite your financial backers, vendors, friends, family, and customers. This is a celebration and a momentous occasion for your business. The most successful ribbon cuttings do not rely solely on the Chamber to attract attendees.
- Food and beverage is not required, but for a ribbon cutting that is part of a longer open house event, it makes a nice touch.
- Consider having giveaways, especially logo items that attendees can take back to their office. We are happy to provide you with members who can help you create giveaways.
- Consider doing a drawing for a gift basket or gift certificate.
What happens during the actual ribbon cutting?
Attendees will gather and network for five to ten minutes prior to beginning the ceremony. A member of the Chamber leadership team will help work with you in advance to coordinate the location of the ceremony and photograph. Once the location is determined, a Chamber team member will get everyone’s attention to begin the ceremony. A chamber representative will speak and welcome you to the Chamber and then ask you for comments and introductions. Have a quick speech prepared thanking everyone for attending, telling a bit about the business, and introducing your key team members.
Following the comments, the Chamber team will help coordinate the photo opportunity in the pre-determined location. You and your key team members will be front and center to cut the ribbon and will be surrounded by all in attendance. Once the photograph and the ribbon is cut, the official ceremony has concluded.
How do I schedule my ribbon cutting?
Please complete the Ribbon cutting reservation form at least three weeks in advance. This provides a better opportunity for you and us to promote the event.
Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays are usually the best days of the week and 4:30 p.m. is our preferred time. We do suggest avoiding early morning or evening ribbon cuttings.
Once you have returned the reservation form you will be contacted by a member of the Chamber team to schedule and finalize all arrangements.
We look forward to working with you!
Your Groundbreaking Ceremony
A groundbreaking is a ceremony signifying the first day of construction for a building or other project. Groundbreakings celebrate exciting new developments in our community. This is a great opportunity for businesses to increase publicity of new construction. Using our golden shovels, business owners and significant members break ground!